cannot reproduce Help please with constant PixInsight crashes

As noted, I have had many problems with projects over the years. Projects created with older versions that wouldn't load, projects where I lost data because some absolute path had changed, projects with process icons that no longer worked. Lots of people use them and that's fine. I don't trust them and I don't trust my data to them. And frankly, I don't see that they provide any benefits to my workflow. So I don't use them.

In this case, I was not suggesting they not be used. My point was that loading an old project into a PI installation that is having problems is adding one too many variables, and I think it's a bad idea
Here are a few comments on the problems you listed:
  • Projects that entirely won't load are corrupted projects; this may happen if you interrupt the copy (then you'll miss files in the project folder) or if the files are corrupted on the disk
  • There is no absolute path involved in project files, projects can be moved freely, but avoid loading them from a NAS or Dropbox folder, just ensure they are accessible from an internal HD (this is also needed for loading images, for example)
  • The dependency on missing processes is the only thing that may affect the loading of an image in a project because the image state (its history) depends on something that is missing; we already had a discussion about that and how to address this case, just planned to be implemented, but it's nothing that blocks you from saving/loading projects today
I'm not trying to convince you; I'm just clarifying that if you had issues, they would most probably rely on these points. Pixinsight is extremely strict about guaranteeing retro-compatibility.

Here are a few comments on the problems you listed:
  • Projects that entirely won't load are corrupted projects; this may happen if you interrupt the copy (then you'll miss files in the project folder) or if the files are corrupted on the disk
  • There is no absolute path involved in project files, projects can be moved freely, but avoid loading them from a NAS or Dropbox folder, just ensure they are accessible from an internal HD (this is also needed for loading images, for example)
  • The dependency on missing processes is the only thing that may affect the loading of an image in a project because the image state (its history) depends on something that is missing; we already had a discussion about that and how to address this case, just planned to be implemented, but it's nothing that blocks you from saving/loading projects today
I'm not trying to convince you; I'm just clarifying that if you had issues, they would most probably rely on these points. Pixinsight is extremely strict about guaranteeing retro-compatibility.
Another place where I've had problems with projects involves symlinks. Most of my files are on NAS folders that are hard linked to folders in my My Documents structure on C:. Problems with this have cropped up occasionally over the years with simple operations like drag-and-drop operations, but those I've reported as bugs and they've been fixed. I've seen this with projects, too, but haven't reported it because I don't use projects so it doesn't matter to me.

Again, though, I'm not telling anybody they should or should not use projects, just that loading a project into a PI installation that is showing some kind of instability is probably not the best place to start debugging!

I suggest testing your cleaned up installation without loading any projects.
Regardless of preferences whether to use project files or not, in this case I suggest not to use project files to eliminate a potential root cause for the crashes.
@ste7esmith had already an sfc scan which repaired some files, it could be, that the project files got damaged and the files system had already issues.

Cheers
Tom

Back