PJSR - get star brightness in mag

AstrGerdt

Hi,

I need to get the brightness of stars inside my image in mag. For that purpose, I would like to utilize the GAIA database from PixInsight instead of relying on an external catalog.

Is there any way to do this, or can someone point me to a script (or better yet a specific part of it) where this is already done?

CS Gerrit

Hi,

I need to get the brightness of stars inside my image in mag. For that purpose, I would like to utilize the GAIA database from PixInsight instead of relying on an external catalog.

Is there any way to do this, or can someone point me to a script (or better yet a specific part of it) where this is already done?

CS Gerrit
Have you looked at the AperturePhotometry script? It accesses the DR3 database to produce its results.

hi you can also give a look to the Gaia process to query the Gaia DBs and you can configure and run it as it is a normal scriptable process.

Hi Gerrit,

As Roberto has said, the process you are looking for is Gaia, since you are interested in magnitudes acquired directly from the Gaia star catalog. Note also that you can use the AnnotateImage script to plot G, BP and RP magnitudes for each star (just be careful with the amount of stars you annotate by using the appropriate magnitude range, since the amount of annotation data can be huge). Gaia can be configured and executed from a script in case you are interested in writing one.

Hi,

thanks for the responses, I was able to figure out how to get all the stars in the image.

Just for future reference, in case someone else needs it, this is how I use the Gaia process in JS:
JavaScript:
cat = new Gaia();
cat.command = "search";
cat.magnitudeLow = -1.5;
// Some other config to the process
cat.executeGlobal();
stars = cat.sources;

Many thanks for the help!

CS Gerrit

Back