Plate Solving fail

I get these settings straight from the header, and they solve first time for me.
View attachment 23008

View attachment 23009
Are you sure you're using his original file and not one you've previously tested? His header does not have those values in it, and it has nothing from which plate scale can be calculated, so that field will depend on the last value you had in there.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 135624.png

Are you sure you're using his original file and not one you've previously tested?
I was definitely using his original file, but I think I may have inherited the ImageSolver settings from a previous test. After resetting ImageSolver I fail (just like everyone else).

Curious: with the file provided in post #8 I can solve it just by changing the scale, nothing else:
View attachment 23012
Wow, that is curious. Or weird. Didn't work for me, so I just double checked and it still doesn't. If I change only the scale if fails to solve. I'm using the link above to the original file, since I no longer had the one I downloaded days ago. Something a little different in our environments? Borders on bug territory, although not a particularly serious one.

Wow, that is curious. Or weird. Didn't work for me, so I just double checked and it still doesn't. If I change only the scale if fails to solve. I'm using the link above to the original file, since I no longer had the one I downloaded days ago. Something a little different in our environments? Borders on bug territory, although not a particularly serious one.
Well, I'm only using 4 Gaia dr3 files.
Of course that wouldn't make a lot of sense...

Sorry: the image linked in post #37 is not the same as the image in post #8 (and this new image failed for me too).
The coordinates of the two images in the header are exactly the same. One must have been cropped and rotate

I set the NGC 4631 in the object identifier of the Image Plate Solver s

I set NGC 4631 for the Whale Galaxy in the Object Identifier for the online Coordinate search in the Image Plate Solver Script. It comes up with the declination of 32 32. As you indicate. I put in the date and time the photo was taken in the mage parameters. I put the focal length (2350) and the image scale of .48. The Image Plate Solver Script is set to default settings and hit OK. I still get the Unable to find initial linear transformation and the image could not be aligned with the reference star field error messages. I can’t figure this out.
Just to be clear... ImageSolver needs a fairly accurate plate scale. If you have the "Focal distance" box checked, it will calculate this from the value for focal distance and the value for pixel size, as loaded from the header (but not present in your case) or manually entered. Both must be close to correct. If you have the "Resolution" box checked, it will use the value in that box directly. Providing both the focal length and the image scale is redundant... only one or the other will be used. And the focal length without an accurate pixel size will cause the solver to fail.

Just to be clear... ImageSolver needs a fairly accurate plate scale. If you have the "Focal distance" box checked, it will calculate this from the value for focal distance and the value for pixel size, as loaded from the header (but not present in your case) or manually entered. Both must be close to correct. If you have the "Resolution" box checked, it will use the value in that box directly. Providing both the focal length and the image scale is redundant... only one or the other will be used. And the focal length without an accurate pixel size will cause the solver to fail.
Ok finally I tried another image and got it to plate solve. Sorry but I think I was putting the image scale in the Pixel Size box. But when I try to use it in SPCC it still says there is no astrometric solution. How do I open the Fits header to put in the proper astrometric solution so SPCC can solve it?

Ok finally I tried another image and got it to plate solve. Sorry but I think I was putting the image scale in the Pixel Size box. But when I try to use it in SPCC it still says there is no astrometric solution. How do I open the Fits header to put in the proper astrometric solution so SPCC can solve it?
If ImageSolver completes, there is an astrometric solution. It will be in the open image. Which you can then apply SPCC to (if it's RGB). There is no longer a FITS file or a FITS header at this point.

Back