SPCC process with OSC and DNB filter images

SkyAnd

Hello everyone,

I bought a new DNB filter (Askar D1 Ha/O3) for my OSC (QHY 268-C) to avoid the ugly halos with the Optolong L-Extreme. Now I'm thinking about how I can calibrate my DNB recordings under SPCC. In this PI SPCC YouTubeTutorial 2 options for DNB images from 8:22 are shown:
1) In standard RGB mode with selected DNB filter combination for R, G and B (good result with R/G and B/G flux)
2) With "Narrowband Filter Mode" checked and wavelength and bandwidth entered (larger deviation R/G flux)

In both cases, "Average Spiral Galaxy" is selected as the white reference in the video, which in my opinion is wrong, as PI otherwise recommends "Photon Flux" for narrowband images.

Whatever, 1) only works if the filter (like Optolong L-Extreme) is already selectable at SPCC. Otherwise, for a few weeks now you have had to create your own filter curves (R, G and B) for SPCC in the separate “Filter Manager” process. Thanks to Jason Coon, this is easily possible, as explained in his YouTube video:

He has also created a database (CSV) with the most commonly used filters, which you can then import into the “Filter Manager” and prepare for your own purposes. Link: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AAA_g8yT5VjgeKU&id=598840FA483A283E!318484&cid=598840FA483A283E

Sorry for the long history, but I hardly found anything about SPCC and DNB filters and perhaps other OSC users will also be interested if they have unlisted filters.

Now to the question for the PI experts:

A)
is the way described under 1) really the better way for OSC recordings with a DNB filter, or is there a way 3) that I haven't found yet, or is DNB calibrated better conventionally?

B) Doesn't the white reference have to be "Photon Flux" also in 1), I get significantly higher values in the R channel, if I select "Average Spiral Galaxy" as shown in the PI Video - see examples below (all done with my old L-Extreme)

Thanks and CS
Andreas

Attachments

• SPCC-Narrowband-Filter-Mode.jpg
    SPCC-Narrowband-Filter-Mode.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 19
  • SPCC-RGB-Mode_Average_Spiral_Gx.jpg
    SPCC-RGB-Mode_Average_Spiral_Gx.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 16
  • SPCC-RGB-Mode_Photon_Flux.jpg
    SPCC-RGB-Mode_Photon_Flux.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 16
Your post is quite lengthy, so it was not very clear what were the questions, however use the filter combination as described under 1.
And yes, Photon Flux is the recommended selection for Narrowband mode.

Cheers
Tom

Back