WBPP Cosmetic Correction only uses one processor

mborland

I run PI on a 32-core machine under Ubuntu. When using Weighted Batch PreProcessor, I find all the steps use many cores except for Cosmetic Correction, which only uses CPU #0. For large image sets, this is very slow.

I verified that PI is using multiple cores for all the other operations by using the 'top' command. When Cosmetic Correction is running, the usage percentage of PI is 100% or less. For other operations, it is as high as 3200% (though it rarely hits that limit). I also verified that PI is not running out of memory (nowhere close).

--Michael

I also find that Subframe Selector (run outside of WBPP) only uses 1 core when outputting subframes. I don't remember this being the case before recent upgrades.

--Michael

Unlike most other calibration processes, CosmeticCorrection is not a "single pixel" process, since it samples other pixels in the neighbourghood of the pixel under evaluation. It may therefore be intrinsically single-threaded, and unable to use the multi-CPU architecture.
However, I don't see why you couldn't run multiple threads on separate frames (I think WBPP does this in other places).

Unlike most other calibration processes, CosmeticCorrection is not a "single pixel" process, since it samples other pixels in the neighbourghood of the pixel under evaluation. It may therefore be intrinsically single-threaded, and unable to use the multi-CPU architecture.
However, I don't see why you couldn't run multiple threads on separate frames (I think WBPP does this in other places).
I'm pretty sure it used to use multiple cores in the previous version. I would have noticed this because it is *really* slow compared to the other operations.

--Michael

Back