SPCC/PCC Error Message

RGrenader

Since 1.8.9-2 whenever I run SPCC or PCC, the process stops with the following error message:
Insufficient data: only 4 samples are available; at least 5 are required.

I have reloaded the GAIA databases (large file set), done a global apply; the same error. I have rerun the GAIA process, cleared the db listing, reloaded, and just closed the process without global apply; same error. The ColorCorrection process works without error, but I do not get the advanced features of SPCC.

What version of Pixinsight do I have to downgrade to so the application is stable?

Attachments

• SPCC.jpg
    SPCC.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 46
This is probably an issue with your image rather than the PI version. The default SPCC setting assume a good SNR and a reasonably small FWHM. If for any reason your images do not meet these criteria (as mine often do not), the default SPCC settings will often fail to find enough "good" stars. To manage this you can relax the SPCC parameter settings. For a low SNR image with bloated stars (and I have quite a few of those) the following settings often work for me:
1694016196930.png

This is probably an issue with your image rather than the PI version. The default SPCC setting assume a good SNR and a reasonably small FWHM. If for any reason your images do not meet these criteria (as mine often do not), the default SPCC settings will often fail to find enough "good" stars. To manage this you can relax the SPCC parameter settings. For a low SNR image with bloated stars (and I have quite a few of those) the following settings often work for me:
View attachment 19805
Okay, that worked, but why, after the upgrade, did the error appear? I have been using SPCC since it was introduced without that error appearing on each use. And my imaging system, a RedCat51 and ASI533MC Pro, has not changed. And, as far as the fix, there's now one more parameter I have to remember to change in an already complicated application.

Do the Developers even read these forums? Some replay would be encouraging.

Last edited:
I think we have to remember that equipment like yours (50mm f/4.9 undersampled at 3"/pix) is at one extreme of the PI user configurations, with observatory-standard equipment at the other extreme. If the default settings are aimed at a "typical" user somewhere in between, there are bound to be configurations that require different settings. However, once you find the best settings for a particular configuration, they should work most of the time.

generally juan does not interact here too much. sometimes vicent is seen. but maybe they are reading, who knows.

changes in behavior after software upgrades are par for the course. i assume this has something to do with the code that does PSF fits. at any rate sometimes there are bugs that tolerate certain sets of data and when the bugs are fixed, a new behavior is exposed. i don't think we're going to know.

as far as remembering to set a parameter, just save a process icon with that parameter set and launch SPCC from the icon, that way you won't forget.

Back